LSF seeks to identify and promote “bright spots” of innovation in schools that advance ESD in all areas of education.
Education for Sustainable Development Schools use sustainability as an integrating context for teaching and learning, decision-making, civic engagement, community partnerships, and campus practices. Transforming the operations, physical surroundings, curriculum, and extra-curricular activities of a school fosters the creation of responsible citizens. The application of sustainability principles across the entire range of decision making helps the community develops the knowledge, skills and values necessary to ensure a sustainable future for generations to come.
The first ESD Lighthouse School project was implemented at Stouffville District Secondary School in 2006. To find out more information on this project, click here. To find out more about Belfountain Public School's initiatives, please click here.
Defining an ESD School:
- Organization: Decision-making procedures focused on sustainability, not just efficiency
- Operations: Running a school in a sustainable manner, reflected in the mission statement and school improvement plans
- Physical Surroundings: Contributions from the building and surrounding areas to the goals of a sustainable community
- Curriculum: Curricula expectations and instructional strategies facilitate ESD learning
- Extra-Curricular Activities: Resources devoted to helping students make positive change in their communities
LSF's Role in an ESD School:
- Engaging/ motivating staff, students, administration and the school community
- Facilitating collaborative decision-making
- Enhancing teacher development through extensive relationship building and modelling
- Creating opportunities for meaningful action projects
- Measuring and documenting impacts and outcomes
Outcomes of an ESD School:
- Support opportunities for students to engage in sustainability projects
- Enhanced and diverse learning opportunities
- Authentic experiences and action-based learning
- Improved educational outcomes
- Developing informed citizens for future success
- Cultivate skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary to create positive changes in the school and/or community
Key Strategies that Transform Learning
From Environmental Education to Citizenship and Sustainability