Resources for Rethinking (R4R)
Resources for Rethinking (R4R) is an online database where educators and the general public can search for the highest quality, peer-reviewed, curriculum-matched teaching resources on issues related to the development of an environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable society. The R4R database identifies hundreds of print, electronic, and audio/visual resources that teachers can use to facilitate engaging activities related to sustainability issues. Such resources may be published by commercial publishers, non-profit organizations, government agencies, or teachers themselves.
Resources for Rethinking allows teachers to search by:
- Sustainability issue or keyword
- Subject, grade and province/territory
- Language (English/French)
Three Pillars of the Resource for Rethinking Database
1. Efficiency: Easy access to the resources you're looking for
Emphasizing quality over quantity, Resources for Rethinking provides only the best ESD resources available. Teachers can access their favourite resources online via:
- Resource downloads (e.g. PDF format)
- Redirection to a publisher's website for ordering
2. Quality: Professional reviews
Resources are reviewed by the people best equipped to judge the value of an educational resource: teachers! The rigorous review process was developed in collaboration with teachers from across Canada.
- Download the review tool
3. Capacity: Support and feedback for resource publishers
The Resources for Rethinking initiative aims to enhance the quality and scope of ESD resources by providing support to publishers via:
- Thorough feedback via resource reviews
- Specific recommendations regarding how to improve the resource
- Gap analysis: identification of themes, grades, and regions which are under-represented among available ESD resources.
Opportunities for collaboration
1. Identify ESD resources
Please send us the titles of your favourite grade K-12 ESD resources: we will add them to our list of resources to be reviewed.
2. Promote the Resources for Rethinking site
If you have any questions, suggestions or comments about this project,
please contact 1-877-250-8202 or email@example.com
Key Learning Strategies for Environmental Education, Citizenship and Sustainability