Jul. 14th, 2014
2014 UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) – Launching of the Global Action Programme
The 2014 UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) will mark the end of the UN Decade of ESD (2005-2014) and see the launch of the Global Action Programme (GAP) on ESD. The conference will take place from 10-12 November 2014 in Aichi-Nagoya, Japan. The Conference will celebrate the achievements of the Decade, and identify lessons learnt while setting the stage for the future of ESD.It will also showcase initiatives, key players, networks and ideas that the Decade has stimulated. Such examples from all over the world will help to generate future action under the Global Action Programme.
Global Action Programme on ESD
The Global Action Programme (GAP) on ESD seeks to generate and scale-up ESD action. It is intended to make a substantial contribution to the post-2015 agenda.The overall goal of the GAP is to generate and scale up action in all levels and areas of education and learning to accelerate progress towards sustainable development.The GAP has two objectives:
- to reorient education and learning so that everyone has the opportunity to acquire the knowledge, skills, values and attitudes that empower them to contribute to sustainable development – and make a difference;
- to strengthen education and learning in all agendas, programmes and activities that promote sustainable development.
The GAP will focus on five priority action areas:
- Advancing policy;
- Integrating sustainability practices into education and training environments (whole-institution approaches);
- Increasing the capacity of educators and trainers;
- Empowering and mobilizing youth;
- Encouraging local communities and municipal authorities to develop community-based ESD programmes.
To successfully launch and implement the Programme, whose focus is on multiplying and accelerating concrete actions on the ground, UNESCO invites stakeholders across the world to register their Launch Commitments for the Global Action Programme in advance of the World Conference on ESD. Launch Commitments are concrete plans to undertake specific ESD activities to support the Global Action Programme. Launch Commitments will be announced on the UNESCO website and at the World Conference, and will provide a basis for the establishment of Partner Networks for the implementation of the Programme.