May. 3rd, 2012
Last year, the eco-team at Alexandra Muir Public School in New Market, ON, created a natural cleanser as part of their EcoLeague grant from LSF. That project was so successful that they applied for the grant again this year in order to make a natural lip balm at their school!
The eco-team is comprised of about 70 students in grades 3-8. For this project, the older students learned about greenwashing, and read books by Gillian Deacon. The students learned about ingredients, often in lip balms, which are not good for their health or the environment. The eco-team began researching recipes and experimenting with different ingredients to decide what they wanted to put in their lip balm.
After several experiments and batches, the students melted down their final product and poured it into small metal containers to harden. The product was launched at the school’s diversity night. The lip balm was so popular that it sold out in one hour! Due to high demand, the eco-team has returned to the lab to continue making more batches of their “Ecotastic Lip Balm!”
- Jack Layton Award Presentation
- Exceptional Teacher Across Canada Honoured by Grand & Toy
- 2012 Reponsible Citizenship Roundtables
- Annual ESD Symposium 2012
- Online Interactive Presentation by David Bell – Oct 5 12-1pm – The Challenges of Sustainability and the Role of ESD (Education for Sustainable Development)