Who We Are
Founded in 1991 by a diverse group of youth, educators, business leaders, government and community members, LSF is a non-profit Canadian organization that was created to integrate sustainability education into Canada’s education system.
We believe in socially, environmentally and economically sustainable society, with engaged citizens who think and act responsibly, today, and for generations to come.
LSF's mission is to promote, through education, the knowledge, skills, values, perspectives, and practices essential to a sustainable future.
Our Goal Is Simple
LSF’s goal is to work together with educators, students, parents, government, community members and business leaders to integrate the concepts and principles of sustainable development into education policy, school curricula, teacher education, and lifelong learning across Canada.
The Secret to Our Success
LSF believes that building comprehensive programs starts with building a solid base. LSF's core program strengths are linked in an Integrated Framework that includes five areas:
- Advancing education for sustainable development through strategic education policies and curricula enhancements;
- Supporting education for sustainable development for youth and educators;
- Fostering sustainable communities that link formal, informal and non-formal education to informed actions;
- Initiating innovative education, public awareness and training programs through strategic partnerships;
- Supporting Canada as a leader in the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development.
LSF facilitates the delivery of sustainable development education programs and resources to teachers and students across Canada. In 2011, LSF reached over 250,000 Canadians. Our goal is to increase this number to more than 300,000 Canadian educators and youth by the end of 2012.
LSF’s team is comprised of a strong Board of Directors representing government, educators, industry, civil society and youth; experienced staff; consultants and partners across the country; classroom teachers; and graduate researchers from leading Canadian universities.
For an overview of LSF's programs, please click here.
Key Learning Strategies for Environmental Education, Citizenship and Sustainability